Monday, May 3, 2010

Post 2: Prepare a Meal - Lasagna!


For my prepare a meal post my friends decided to help me make lasagna for this assignment. The first thing that I had to do was to figure out the ingredients that we needed to make lasagna. I used a recipe from the food network online. The main ingredients were lasagna noodles, ground beef, ground Italian sausage, canned tomatoes, and many herbs. This got a little expensive but I was making this meal with a few friends and we all pitched in to pay for it so it wasn’t too expensive when sharing the costs. We followed the recipe and ended up with really good lasagna! The clean up took a while, and I prepared this meal in a friends apartment. I would not be able to have made this meal if I had tried to do it in the dorms because the set up and clean up was long and I needed and oven and stove.

When Pollan is talking about a floor of damaging innovations I agree with his claims. He is saying that there is so much genetically engineered and modified foods, but we really need to just be looking at what is truly healthy for us, and find fresh foods. It felt really good to have made a solid meal all on my own from scratch. Pollan’s arguments about damaging innovations didn’t make me feel different about my meal because I think making it from scratch made is less of an issue. When I eat food from housing food in the dorms, sometimes I feel gross after because I know the food probably was not good for me.

I found an article that supports this idea that genetically modified foods are bad for you agreeing with Pollan’s arguments. It talks about how genetically modified foods have health risks, pose environmental hazards, and can cause economic concerns. This shows Pollan’s arguments in a slightly different way, but still stating the main argument that genetically modified foods are bad for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment